Adding an Article to the Knowledge Base
This KB site is built on the WordPress content management system, which means it’s pretty easy to use. Below are step-by-step instructions on adding articles.
If you want a description of the KB in general, please visit the Getting Started: SMC Knowledge Base .
To add a page just follow these instructions:
- login through the “internal” link in nav bar (if you are not set up, contact Ross at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- click the “smc knowledge base” words in the top left corner on the black bar. This will lead you to the backend of WordPress.
- Click “articles>add article” and it will give you a blank page to create.
- Add your content as needed. It works similar to a Word document. Make sure your title is descriptive for the search to find.
- When you are done with the content we ask that you do a few final things before publishing:
- On the right column, select a category for your post. If you don’t find one that fits, feel free to add one. You will be picking a category within one of the top level section. So for example, you would choose “Cascade CMS” in the “Web and Interactive Marketing” section. NOTE: remember to remove the default “About SMC” if that does not apply.
- If you are building an internal article you need to select the “internal” checkbox in the Access box located in the right column. This will hide your page behind the login, only accessible to SMC people with KB access.
- Now add any tags you want your page to be found through search. They are like keywords about your article. You don’t need to go crazy as long as your article title and content are descriptive.
- Lastly, it is nice at the bottom the article, to have a link back to the relevant Getting Started page or next step. It can look like this:
- Publish and done. You can also use drafts as needed.
- Finally, remember to add your page link to the relevant “Getting Started” Page.
If want to edit an article you can log in and go to the page and click the “edit article” button at the top. This will bring you to the backend.
If you have any question on the Knowledge Base, please feel free to call Ross at x3105 or email email@example.com.
Back to SMC Internal Homepage